I had this odd moment last week. My daughter and I go to the local public school (ps) about once a week to check out books, help shelve books, and check out/check in books. My daughter adores the librarian there. While DD was in school, the librarian truly was her only saving grace while she was there.

We homeschool now.

So, anyway, we were in the library helping and in came a life skills class. Two students. Each has their own full-time aid. They have their complete own curriculum and classes. They were working on their colors and shapes, and this is the 3-5th grade school.

The sad part for me was that while I think it is completely awesome that they do this, my daughter (and those like her) who are on the other end of the spectrum can't get matched one bit to the curriculum that they need.
How is that the least bit fair? I was a bit mad and sad. Sad that the system won't put any effort into the other end of the spectrum. Sad that there are children like my daughter who are stuck in school and not getting what they need.

I just felt the need to share. It still is weighing heavily on my mind, to the point where I don't think I can handle going in there again when that class is there. My daughter was there as well and she is smart enough to put these things together, too.

I guess, it is something I always knew and certainly don't like but being in the same school that wouldn't accommodate her and watching this happen was a tad heart breaking.

~ Christine smile
Homeschooling DD in PA