Originally Posted by La Texican
You must have been the one who mentioned that. I remembered reading once about somebody who's child was gifted and being taughted in a special Ed school. The part I remember reading was that the special Ed teachers were a good fit for the gifted child in that case because they were more flexible and already experienced in differentiation.

My son started in the special education program. He had severe behavior issues and I am so grateful for every second of attention his special school district teachers gave him. It also helped him learn a great deal of patience and compassion when dealing with children who had a harder time with things that were easier for him. Now he's tested gifted, but I'll never forget those amazing people with SSD who helped my son and our family so much in the beginning.

Just a note, while his speech issue has stumped most teachers and even the speech therapist his SSD teacher can always get him to say the c or k sound. Even when we see her at the grocery store. ;-)

And as for the comment that SSD teachers have lower SAT scores. I just can't believe that knowing the wonderful compassionate & dedicated teachers I met. Perhaps I'm just fortunate in my school district who is committed to both gifted & special school options, but really I doubt it.

Last edited by irishmaggie; 03/13/12 08:05 PM.