update: They double counted DS' scores in both the achievement (by current grade) and aptitude (by receiving grade) to give him an AAAA score of 15. I didn't correct them. They also hid from me the criteria used to determine the score, and I simply kept my bootlegged copy hidden.

So, we're happy there. DS came out as an excellent candidate for acceleration.

Here's where we're not happy. They've now reversed themselves on where he belongs in math. Because of a relative weakness in writing, they won't put him in 2nd grade math this year or in 3rd grade next year. They want to take him out of the second hour of kindergarten (when writing instruction happens) to put him in 1st grade math. The kindergarten teacher says she'll flip the schedule so that he doesn't miss the writing instruction by going to math but ARGH with this plan, he won't ever be learning math at school. First grade is still single digit addition and subtraction. What could be more boring than an hour a day of that?!?

We've consented to next year's acceleration, but not the math plan. I'm going to observe the classes to see if I can convince myself 2nd grade will have too much writing.

My older DD is having struggles with math right now by reason of a disorder of written expression, and they are using DD's struggles as means to deny DS what he needs.

Anyone know if Dr. Assouline takes phone calls?

Last edited by geofizz; 03/08/12 11:16 AM.