Thanks, Dottie! Our initial request was a double subject acceleration in math (to 2nd grade math now). The school suggested the whole grade acceleration with an additional math acceleration (1/2 split).

I'm actually puzzled by the "low" vocabulary score. He doesn't have a small vocabulary, and he seems to have really strong skills in gaining new words. It's listed last in the subtest scores. Considering how many math problems he must have solved, I might just chalk it up to being tired. He missed recess that day because of the WJ testing, so he worked at it for over 90 minutes. But if he really doesn't have as big a vocabulary as I think he does, then I share your concern. Vocab on the WISC-IV was a scaled score of 15 (95th percentile).

From where I sit, it looks like the test scores indicate that he's well beyond the reach of differentiation in everything in the kindergarten year, but not quite "ideal" for moving into first immediately. On my now several readings of the IAS (1st ed), it seems as though there's a wide gap between kids who can be effectively served with differentiation and those demanding a skip.

Last edited by geofizz; 03/06/12 11:11 AM.