Wow, thanks for all the responses.

Dottie, so you're telling me that the WJ isn't to be used at all for the achievement or aptitude part?!? Is there a listing of the tests that are ok for kindergarteners? The school gives the TerraNova to second graders in April, which is the first test they give in the district.

Is there anywhere in the manual itself that lists appropriate tests or explains that WJ isn't appropriate?

FSIQ=141 with no weak area (all index 126-141; no subtest scores under 13)

Oh, good, grief.

The state requires use of the IAS, though it's not that clear if it requires the district follow the recommendations. So the school is familiar with the IAS, but I wouldn't put it past them to purposely misinterpret or misapply it.

DS has taken the district's internal math test (scoring 2nd to beyond 2nd grade in October -- before the 10000 math puzzles of STMath), and DRA at the ceiling (limited to 1+ grade level). Besides that, you can see all the other tests he's taken.

Honestly, before going into this, I was clear that math had to change. I was frustrated with the pace of language arts instruction, but didn't seem to think a change was so needed. The principal convinced me! The test scores sealed the deal, particularly in light of how much progress he's made this year. Goodness, he was mostly deaf for 8+ months of his first 2 years and severely language delayed. The VCI (126) is way above the equivalent verbal index when he was discharged from speech therapy 18 months ago (110). While we still have lingering doubts about speech quirks, they now seem more and more a consequence of unusual speech topics and vocabulary.

Now what? We have a meeting scheduled now for the 15th to do the IAS and decide on a change. That's the last day before spring break, after which there are 10 weeks left in the school year. What I was previously feeling of an urgency to make a change because of a marginal kindergarten teacher, I'm not wondering if it's just grossly inappropriate instruction. The poor kid says he loves school -- he just wishes he could learn something while there.