Dude, community soccer here is the strangest thing ever -- it goes by grade. Elite soccer goes by U(age) systems. But yes, for most things I'm aware of, out-of-school sports goes by age or ability. And again, he's coming out to be a more individual sport/chess/music kid than team sport kid. Certainly things can change, of course.

Grinity, the compacting options are maybe counting a few flocks of chickens before the single egg is hatched -- these are proposed options right now before the school board. Only one is fully established. There will be some massive scheduling problems/impossibilities with at least one of the proposed options.

Yes, the principal suggested the skip, and he has said in no uncertain terms that DS' math talent needs to be nurtured. The school psychologist has recommended against the skip, but for the subject acceleration.

DS got the whole family's executive skills. Seriously, he drained all mine during pregnancy and took them for himself. I'm genuinely not concerned, especially since the parenting habits have been established on his older sister, who got none of those genes.