Absolutely Dottie! And even with kids that test in the 95th percentile for the receiving grade, there is still an adjustment period. I found in particular for my DS, who did a mid-year skip from 1st to 2nd, that the sheer volume of writing was difficult. While he was easily able to bubble in tests (or click on the right answer on the computer), producing the volume of work was difficult. He still tested at 95th percentile for the grade ABOVE the receiving grade, but there is simply no way he would have physically been able to keep up with the "work product" of a two year skip.

My thoughts have always been that a child who finishes the year with 85th is still going on to the next grade, without a doubt. So the skipping child will just have to face a little challenge to catch up. Isn't that the point anyway?

All that said, my DS is now a 4th grader on paper, homeschooling at 6th grade across the board with 7th grade math and 7th grade writing ability and high school level reading material. But he still prints like a 3rd grader. He'll always be a conundrum for a classroom teacher!