Originally Posted by Grinity
it looks like there is a wave of folks who think that ADHD is really part of the Autistic Specturm, just that the ADHD kids get blamed for their behavior while the ASD kids get understanding for having brain dysfunction. I'm not quite ready to agree,

Anyone who thinks that ASD kids normally get understanding rather than blame hasn't visited many schools... or talked to the gifted summer camps or private schools that won't accept these kids.

Originally Posted by Grinity
but I do wonder if there are a whole bunch of kids who are using their above average intelligence to compensate for ASD-like difficulties to the point where they don't qualify for services that they actually need.

Yes-- true in significant numbers. 2Es on the spectrum are typically diagnosed late, and it is much harder to get them appropriate services.

The idea of "OEs" (it has never been proven that OEs are real to my satisfaction) makes this problem worse by taking symptoms that are truly interfering with the child's life and development, and writing them off as quirks of giftedness, which can further delay treatment.

DeeDee