Hello Somerdai.

I'm looking forward to any suggestions and advice that you receive. I was about to post about my DD2.5 year old who has sensory issues. She has extreme food avoidance, and will only eat pureed baby food or crunchy foods by hand. She will not touch anything that has a squishy or liquid texture to it.

We have been through feeding therapy (until our insurance ran out), a dietician (since she only weighs 23 pounds), and had an OT evaluation. The OT evaluator said that she was the highest testing female that she has ever seen in terms of motor skills and coordination. She was at the level of a 4 year old. Therefore she did not qualify for OT, even though she was extremely below average on the sensory section of the test. According to the OT person that we saw, they deal with the motor issues in getting the food from the plate to the mouth. Since that was not our problem, we were denied OT services. She tossed us back to feeding therapy. Sigh.

Our pediatrician also sent in a request for a Developmental Pediatrician evaluation for DD. However that was denied as well by the Developmental Pediatrician, based on a questionnaire that we (the parents) filled out about when she rolled over, walked, spoke her first words, etc. She hit all of these milestones at ridiculously early times.

DD is fairly outgoing and social. She plays well with other kids her age. She reads facial expression in books, and understands the emotional component of stories. She just has Sensory Issues.

I struggle with the same question of whether it is a fundamental problem with development, or tied to gifted over-excitabilities. Either way, it makes life difficult. Her older brother, DS11, is a DYS and has similar (but less severe) sensory issues.

What kind of food avoidance does your child have? And what do the sensory seeking behaviors look like? Or direct me to an older post where you have discussed this? Has anyone else received OT for a purely sensory issue, when there was not a motor issue as well?

I would love to compare notes and trade any advice or suggestions with you or other parents. Sometimes the best strategies that I have learned have come from this board and parents who have BTDT. Sorry I can't be of more help, except to commiserate.

Mom to DS12 and DD3