Thanks everyone for your replies. There is so much here that I want to respond to! Sorry if this gets long…

Originally Posted by DeeDee
Since you're not local, it seems all the more important to see the right professional first and not waste time...

This is exactly my worry, but I'm wondering if DS is too young to have a neuropsych eval done? Somehow I don't imagine him testing well at this point. I found a place near where we'll be staying that does "Developmental Evaluations" but they seem to only do neuropsych evals for "neurologically impairing conditions that could adversely affect adaptive function." I'm going to call them today to see how long it takes to get an appt and the cost.

Originally Posted by ebeth
The OT evaluator said that she was the highest testing female that she has ever seen in terms of motor skills and coordination. She was at the level of a 4 year old. Therefore she did not qualify for OT, even though she was extremely below average on the sensory section of the test...

Our pediatrician also sent in a request for a Developmental Pediatrician evaluation for DD. However that was denied as well by the Developmental Pediatrician, based on a questionnaire that we (the parents) filled out about when she rolled over, walked, spoke her first words, etc. She hit all of these milestones at ridiculously early times.

That’s exactly my problem. DS is probably advanced in his motor skills (makes up his own routines with rolls, flips, and an almost headstand) and verbally, so I am afraid that his other challenges might be overlooked.

I struggle with the same question of whether it is a fundamental problem with development, or tied to gifted over-excitabilities. Either way, it makes life difficult.

Yes, sigh.

What kind of food avoidance does your child have? And what do the sensory seeking behaviors look like?

Where to start? He pretty much only eats some soups, rice w/ketchup, plain pieces of meat, french fries w/mayo, and random fruits (he'll love something one day then not eat it again for months). He doesn't seem to recognize when he's hungry or connect it with eating. He freaks out if the food is the wrong temperature, mixed on his plate, not super super fresh (absolutely no leftovers or bagged lunches), and I could go on and on. He likes to chew things but he spits them out instead of swallowing. He still nurses because otherwise I'm afraid he would actually starve himself. Did the dietician help with your DD?

To answer your sensory question, DS has some seeking (rough play, climbing, bouncing, jumping, throwing himself on floor/grass/furniture repeatedly) and avoiding behaviors (food, touch, baths, hygiene, dressing, and diapering before he was potty trained). As a newborn, he had to be in constant motion or he'd cry. He and I would spend between 3-4 hours outside every day just to stay sane. I got a trampoline for him this last Christmas which he jumps on throughout the day, and both DH and I have since seen a different little boy recently.

Originally Posted by Grinity
At the time I was only vaugely aware of 'Gifted Issues' but had been doing way too much unconsious compensation just based on my own memories of being different.

DH thinks an evaluation is pointless/unnecessary because he doesn't think anything is amiss. I'm not sure how much to push for an eval because there don't seem to be that many follow-up therapies available here. I think my husband is afraid that the wonderful things about DS will get lost or overlooked if we have a label, or that we're rejecting DS somehow if we don't just take him as he is and make things work.