I am going to be making an unexpected trip to the States and I’m wondering if I should pursue an OT evaluation for DS2y4m. It is something we have to pay for privately, so I’m trying to weigh the benefits vs the cost. I’m wondering if the OT is really going to see enough of his true behaviors in an hour to give us an accurate picture of what’s going on and what will help. DS is very verbal and active with me and DH, but extremely shy, clingy, and upset when he’s around strangers. My ultimate goal is to learn more about the input he needs so that I can provide activities at home to help with his sensory seeking, food avoidance, self-regulation, and meltdown problems. I’ve been suspecting sensory processing disorder for awhile, but at times I wonder as well if it might just be giftedness, intensity, and OEs.

Please share your experience with me… what did your diagnosis process look like, was it more than just SPD and/or giftedness, what clued you in, how old was your DC, and what should I look for in the therapist who does the evaluation?