The irony of this all suddenly struck me. In the country at large, homeschoolers are definitely the minority, often mocked or mistreated because of their decision. As a result, a little defensiveness makes sense, as does a certain evangelical-ness when you have found that homeschooling really works.

So the irony is that for HG+ kids the tables are turned. Most of the books and articles talk about the dangers of sending HG kids to regular school and how most parents eventually turn to homeschooling. So as I read those articles and see more and more parents turning to homeschooling, I am the one who starts to feel defensive. I, who have a kid in a regular public school placed in his age-appropriate grade, start to feel like I don't quite belong here (maybe my kid isn't gifted? maybe I'm a bad parent? maybe they are all laughing at me). The same kinds of insecurity and defensiveness start to grow. And I start of feel a little evangelical about regular school. I seem to have found the one little pocket of the country where I am the minority.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not saying anyone is actually trying to make me feel defensive. I'm pretty good at getting defensive under pretty benign circumstances--just ask DH!

Last edited by acs; 03/17/08 06:32 PM.