I do think that taking the child's desires into consideration is huge. I have checked in with DS a few times on this and he is very clear that he does not want to be homeschooled.

One of his best friends (who is at least MG) who we share a yard with went to K and then his mother decided she wanted to HS. She was concerned that school would stifle his creativity. The mother, who is a friend of mine, says how great HSing is. But my DS gets a different story from his friend who my son says really misses going to school and being with lots of different kids (not just the ones in their very homogenous HS group). They spend so much time together and are quite frank in their conversations that I doubt that the neighbor boy is telling DS a polite lie so my DS doesn't feel bad!

DS has another HG friend who was HS'ed for a year. His sister needed to be HSed for health reasons and P got pulled out of school to keep his sister company. He did a year of advanced work at home (with a marvelous family), but was quite miserable. Again, he missed the hustle and bustle of school. When he came back to school the next year, he was so happy. I'd see him working on work that was years below what he was capable of and I asked him how he liked it and he said it was well worth being a little bored to be back a school again.

I don't mean to suggest that this is the whole story by any means. I do know that neither of these kids wanted to be homeschooled and neither of them seem to have liked it. Certainly, DS does not want to be homeschooled. So I think that listening to what a child wants makes a ton of sense.