Originally Posted by Ann
Thanks Acs (big hug to you too). It sounds like you know what we're going through. DH is in the depression cycle right now. Inpatient and day hospital hasn't helped. The group sessions make DH irritable b/c he doesn't identify w/ anyone in the group. Don't get me started on what he thinks of those facilitating the group sessions. Ideally (though not possible) DH would be willing to see his pyschiatrist daily.

Oh Ann,
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's illness. I'm so glad you decided to reach out to us! Yippee! I think that when anyone has a family member who's life is in danger, that yes, they have it rough! Personally I think anyone who has to chase around a HG or HG+ kiddo has it rough, so that's my perspective - LOL!

I thought it was interesting your comment above. On some level his 'outward directed perfectionism' is crankiness and his illness talking, but on some other level, he is absolutly correct, and in a perfect world there would be some way for your husband to met with other who share both his disease and his intellectual backround.

examples: I see this when the school counselor comes around to teach the children some social skills in the early elementary grades. They have to teach really simple, and for DS it sends the wrong message. There is an article about it somewhere, on the Davidson Gifted Database, i think.

examples: Me, in my 20's sitting in a series of therapists offices going: I feel so different from my peer. What's wrong with me?

(LOL - you can guess they didn't say, well, your mind shows you more of a situation than most of the people around you, even your very high academically achieving friends. You feel like you know better, because you DO know better. Which is different from knowing everything, but you may as well face the situation squarely! You are also at an age where you don't have the experience to use your mind at it's peak effiency, which is always discomfting, but just has to be grown through.))

Instead we'd head off in various directions (sorry mom!) and try to find ways for me to 'fit in.' Now I'm litterally laughing out loud. ((Thanks to DS for getting me out of that cage!!))

So for me, I think that while it would be ideal for your husband to realise the need for him to get over his ODP (outer directed perfectionsim) and learn what there is to learn from his 'peers' for now and stay alive, I'm wondering if there is a way for your DH to interact with 'true peers' over the internet. Perhaps http://www.sengifted.org/ will know of a few 'recovering GT and BP' folks he can have as pen pals? Or your local GT resource? Or just printing this out and mailing it to his psychiatrist.

Anyway, ((prayers)) in your direction dear!
Love and More Love,
Grinity