Originally Posted by Wren
The military was a good way to go, as long as you aren't on the front lines and get killed before that 50K retirement and 80K job after.

My father was WW2 vet and all those guys got free college degrees. I also know someone who medical school, care of the US Army. Spent his six years with them and left.

There are ways with the military but there is that risk of life...
Ren

Front lines? LOL.

Being in the infantry today is like playing college football with the demands on your body. I don't know of anyone who does not have bad knees or backs after they reach 30.

Or the training accidents that kill and maim. Or the bad backs from humping the 120 pound rucks. My sister has permanent disability from her 6 years and my hearing and left hand are bad from my six years.

The US military runs the largest trade school program in the world. A kid does not have to join the Army to go to a trade school.

But, done right, they probably could not do better.

And I think a lot of really bright kids could be an officer after getting their BA/BS and learn how to lead. Six years in a post-grad leadership school, then get out and go into executive management.

The training I received in the Army was top notch, far better than anything I got when I was working on my MBA. Without that training, I would not be doing what I am today.

Eric Greitens was a Rhodes Scholar and became a Navy SEAL officer following his time at Oxford.

http://www.ericgreitens.com/

Last edited by Austin; 08/20/11 11:12 PM.