I did not read the article

A Brookings study "The Harlem Children's Zone, Promise Neighborhoods, and the Broader, Bolder Approach to Education" http://www.brookings.edu/reports/2010/0720_hcz_whitehurst.aspx

but if the following quote is accurate,

"Children from families enrolled in Head Start do no better academically in early elementary school than similar children whose parents enroll them in preschool programs that do not include these broader services"

It appears to me that stats are being used to support an argument that is just not there.

What I mean is that apples are being compared to oranges.

A more accurate comparison would be to compare the success of head start students to similar students who have no preschool from the same area. (Not to the group that decides to home preschool), but to the group that sees no value or simply can not afford preschool even with financial help.

My reasoning is that parents who already enroll their children in preschool programs (or providing appropriate home environment) are more able/likley to provide the broader services that head start provides. While, parents who do not, OR CAN NOT will be less able to provide these services and student support.

I'm just saying.