Originally Posted by Beckee
Trust me, every single one of my 130 sixth graders in my extremely diverse social studies classes got the College-Is-Important speech from me last week.

But I didn't tell my students they have to go to college. That's not my place, and my own 6th grade teacher reminded me last week that college is not for everyone.

Your teacher was right. College isn't for everyone, and recent studies are questioning the value of burying yourself in debt in the name of getting a BA (search for "Is college worth it?"). US society has romantic ideas that going to college is a magical key to overcoming all kinds of problems. And this sends a message that devalues jobs that don't require a college degree.

Not everyone can or should go to college. Not everyone is smart enough. Some people are interested in other stuff. And that's okay. Not everyone is suited to being a top-notch electrician either. That's also okay. Why take on a debt of $20K or $30K or more (google "average college debt") to get a degree in something you aren't terribly interested in or good at? There's more than one way to become a happy and productive human being.

IMHO, charts showing higher earnings for college grads don't account for other factors that affect earnings. Why be a mediocre marketing associate when you could be a really good plumber? Why do we value having more BA-credentialed marketing associates or sales reps? I don't get it. I'd rather have more highly skilled plumbers.

Do you think that it's possible that by making a sweeping statement like "college is important" makes you part of a machine that's telling your students what to do? By saying it that way, are you also telling them that anything but college is less worthy? This seems odd for someone who doesn't like to tell ethnic minorities that they should assimilate. smile confused

Food for thought.

Last edited by Val; 08/16/11 11:31 PM. Reason: Clarity