My dad has an A&P license, no degree, and almost 20 years experience with certain airframes when he left the Army in the mid 70s. He was offered a top job at a major maintenance facility making 60K. That same position today pays almost 200K.

Here is what the average mechanic with an A&P license makes today without my dad's level of experience.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Certification=Airframe_%26_Powerplant_%28A%26P%29_License/Salary

And with an A&P license, you can work on a lot of things, not just aircraft.

The same goes for people with a two year Cisco certificate from a local college. A number of high schools offer certification programs, too. These are just two examples. LPN and Hygenist programs are other options.

These two routes are more appropriate for kids with ACTS in the low 20s or below than sending them to college.

The dividing line between those who go to college and those who should not can be found in the first year chemistry/latin/physics/geometry classes in high school or the last year of middle school.

So, backing up. In today's dollars. A kid goes into the military today, gets his A&P working on helos, gets out after 20 years at age 38 with a 50K a year retirement. He then goes into maintenance making 80K a year. At age 40 he is making 130K a year in today's money and has no degree. That is more than most degreed IT salaries.

Another way to look at it - I have three guys in their mid 20s with cisco certs. No degree. They all make mid 50s. Compared to the poor souls who took out loans for masters, who is ahead? All three own homes and have new cars. Again, who is better off?

You do not need a degree to be a contributing member of society nor do you need a degree to be a highly productive employee.