Originally Posted by Bostonian
"I feel overwhelmed, underappreciated and underpaid," a teacher told me one morning at one of the Success Charter Network schools in Harlem. Like KIPP, these are schools whose students consistently top the charts in achievement scores, often testing at or above the level of students in affluent nearby suburbs.

"I work from 7:30 to 5:30 in the building and then go home and work some more," the teacher told me. "I get disrespectful pushback from parents all the time when I try to give their kids consequences. I get feedback from my [supervisors], who demand that I change five or six things by the next day. I think we are doing a great job, so I keep at it. But there is no way I can do this beyond another year or two."

Anyone in a job where they are pushed to perform will feel this way. Coaching people on finding an emotional outlet and finding time for them to take time off will address this. Getting positive feedback from parents, supervisors, and forming a relationship with the same outside of work will sustain teachers through the days of doubt. Its another piece of the puzzle.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
According to the article, there are

47.4 million students in public schools
3.3 million teachers in public schools*
1 million students in charter schools
72,000 teachers in charter schools

School reform predicated on finding 3.3 million "super" teachers will not work.

The tyranny of low expectations, again.

I do not think there are any "super" teachers, just highly motivated, well-led teachers. We have a leadership deficit and a motivation deficit.