Originally Posted by Bostonian
If you really don't see the difference between Iriquois in the 1700s and American minorities in the 2000s, you should not be teaching. The Iriquois probably expected to live in their own communities and not to live and work with whites. American students of all races need to function in what you call the "dominant culture" in order to make a living. They need to learn standard written (and spoken) English, math, and science to the extent of their abilities.

Trust me, every single one of my 130 sixth graders in my extremely diverse social studies classes got the College-Is-Important speech from me last week. Which apparently triggered at least one, long College-Is-Important speech from a parent in the car.

At the same time, I was keenly aware that some of my students will never hear that speech from their parents lips. One of the parents on the school community council at a school where I used to work told me her son's teacher had suggested that the mom try reading for fun in the hopes that her son might pick it up, too.

But I didn't tell my students they have to go to college. That's not my place, and my own 6th grade teacher reminded me last week that college is not for everyone. I did back up my stance with a bunch of evidence, mostly charts and graphs about income. Then I showed them how education had opened doors for me in my own life and also showed them a recruiting video for my private, liberal arts alma mater.

Eventually, these kids will have to decide for themselves if they are going to college. Some of them will find financial and moral support for that endeavor in their families or their community. Some of them will return from college and find they have become outsiders in their own community, with no real place in their community, until some kid says he has to go to court and needs a cultural interpreter.

I grew up in rural, southern Appalachia. I qualify for Mensa, the DAR, and the Daughters of the Confederacy--if I ever decide I'm interested in such membership. I don't see that it's my place to tell people with a very different set of beliefs and experiences how they should live. I can give them the data to help them make a rational decision once I've built a relationship built on mutual respect. That's about all I can expect to do.

That, and teach my 'okole off!