Originally Posted by kerripat
But the GRE is not a subject competency test. Similar to the SAT, it is more of a test of aptitude or even intelligence.

Not these days. High-IQ organizations like MENSA don't accept GRE scores. Example: MENSA won't accept post-2001 GRE scores (check their website). The math section of the GRE is primarily a test of algebra, geometry, and arithmetic. The verbal section is primarily a vocabulary test, and there are dozens (at least) of sources that can be used to study for the test. I agree that there's a cognitive element there, but it's all junior high and high school-level.

Originally Posted by kerripat
Teachers take Praxis tests to prove competency in the areas they are going to teach. Now I wouldn't fault you for criticizing the Praxis system (the math test is a JOKE)...

Praxis is used in Connecticut. The authorities there lowered the passing score in math several years ago from 141 to 137. Before they lowered the standards, only 51% of teachers could pass it the first time and only 70% passed it eventually ( see link ).

I also found some numbers for Pennsylvania. Just under 79% passed math on the first attempt (test code 5730, which is the one I reference below). This is better than Connecticut, but given the low standards of the math exam, those numbers should be higher. Overall, the numbers in the spreadsheets weren't encouraging.

Here are some sample questions from the Praxis. They include, "Which of the following numbers is equal to a quarter of a million?" and "Which of the following fractions is the least?" The values of all but one of the fractions were greater than one.

What does all this say about the people taking a test you've described as a "joke?"

Last edited by Val; 06/28/11 04:38 PM. Reason: Clarity