Originally Posted by Cricket2
When I took the GRE it had three sections: math, verbal, and analytical. I got a nearly perfect score on analytical, close to that on verbal and high on math but not near perfect. In other words, I'm above average in math but not fantastic at it.

Well, you're above average at GRE math! The GRE doesn't measure your ability to find creative new solutions to math problems by thinking slowly and carefully (my other major complaint about the GRE and other standardized tests). It only measures how fast you can crunch a standard set of basic calculations. I understand that this skill is important for some things, but it's not all-important by a long shot.

I found an old document from 1996 that shows that score percentiles have shifted only slightly since then. It says an 800 was the 98th percentile but also says that +2 SD wasn't possible on the test, so interpret as you please there.

Again, even 15 years ago, education majors still scored at the bottom. They had the lowest scores for analytical and quantitative, and were only 3 points higher than the lowest score in verbal (business students scored the lowest there). Not too impressive.