I am not aware of any federal law that requires a school to provide IQ testing (or testing of any variety) unless there is the potential for special needs. State laws might vary of course. Not saying there isn't a federal law, but I don't think so.

I agree with Bostonian that Explore would be a preferred test, but since it won't be offered again until January, SCAT is the next best thing (and Sydness you can sign up to take SCAT pretty much anytime and Prometric centers are all over the place I think).

Ultimately IQ testing would be very helpful, but if your focus in on changing the school's position, I am not sure it will be worth much. Some parents are very confident in their perception of their children, but I found that having IQ results and SCAT tests made me feel much more justified in my advocacy efforts, and that helped me push ahead.

One thing I find interesting is that the VP seemed to admit they were not doing much for your child and that she needed "more," but kept saying they could not do this or that. Can you try to pin the school down on why they are so adverse to the subject acceleration. Initially our school hesitated because they didn't think DS was "so special." Once we had test scores showing he was, there were concerns about the floodgates issue (which never developed), social issues (which are not present although the concern continues), scheduling issues (which are valid but can be remedied if so desired). We just kept pushing against each concern politely and emphatically. We are not all the way there yet.

One other thing that can help is finding just one person in district who thinks what you are asking is reasonable. Sometimes people just don't want to be responsible for a decision that is unique or could cause problems, and if you find someone who will take responsibility, that can make all the difference.

Ultimately, you may have to do as Bostonian suggests, and focus on what you can provide.

Last edited by Catalana; 06/09/11 12:20 PM.