Just a few quick thoughts.

You should be proud of yourself for getting the ball rolling and for making the principal aware of your DD. It's a big first step!

An IQ test, whether accepted by the school or not, can be helpful because it can show that your DD is not only academically advanced (which your current data shows) but that she is also much more likely to learn at a faster pace than her peers. In our SD this in an invaluable part because they feel that a child can be academically ahead, but unless they learn at a very fast pace, could be put into a situation in which they can not keep pace if they skip. Plus, it can give you confidence in your advocacy.

I would write a letter (not an e-mail; and make a copy for your records) to the principal restating what you believe you talked about in your meeting and outlining any checkpoints that you established for determining whether her next year in school is going successfully. On that note, I would ask that you meet to reassess how things are going several weeks into the school year.

Also, I would request two other things. One, that they set up a meeting now between you and the teacher that the principal is saying your daughter will have next year. And two, an IQ test to determine your DD's general abilities. Like the PP said, if you request this in writing, I believe they must honor your request to at least test.

This whole advocacy thing is usually a long and ongoing process, so congrats on starting the conversation.

Last edited by mnmom23; 06/09/11 10:15 AM. Reason: clarified, I think.

She thought she could, so she did.