Oh, my. I'm glad that is over with. She met with me for an hour and a half. I had WJ III scores and report cards that all said she was advanced in all areas. I brought her alphabetizing homework from this week in which she did as a mirror image. I brought her math sample of division, multiplication, fractions and such from first grade and explained to her that they have not even learned these yet in third grade, this year.

SHE SAID...They have NEVER had a child in 4th grade skip to 5th. EVER! Not even the kids who go to Havard! (Sorry, not impressed) They have one boy who is in 6th grade this year doing 8th grade math (again, not impressed) AND he was NOT skipped in 4th grade. You have to wait until 6th grade to get ability grouped.

This same boy reports being challenged the whole time.

They assess the kids constantly. They group them in class on what they know and move them on from there.

We left it at "If my daughter taked the 4th grade end of year assesment at the beginning of the year with the others, and she requires the 5th grade math book, the teacher will give it to her.

Well, that sounds good.
Am I being sweet-talked?
Help!
I have been through this and DIFFERENTIATION DOES NOT WORK!

She assures me that, in her school, it does. She sympathized with what we were going through in third grade - in her same school system and thinks that things should be being handled differently.

She gave me some questions to ask the teachers...like, since my child has mastered this concept, when will you introduce the next one to her?

Very pointed questions, rather than saying just "my daughter needs more challenging work."

So there you have it...

What do you think? Is the wool being pulled over my eyes?

I asked if an IQ result would be helpful and she couldn't say for sure.

Maybe I should just go ahead and get one just to see.
She seemed unimpressed with the overall WJ III results of 99.6% and didn't comment on them.

She says, she will place her with a special teacher who will be able to challenge her, the same one this other boy had. AND to meet with him the first week of school to discuss 5th grade. Why do I feel like we just went backwards?

I love that I can write all this down. It helps me process. Any advice or feedback would be much appreciated!
Thanx!