Originally Posted by ginger234
Up until now I have been fighting to get her any sort of accommodations as she does not "fit" into the RTI model to get help. (She drops out at the 1st question, "Is the child successful?" which to the schools means making good grades & state test scores--check.)

Ginger, I don't know much about RTI-- you will need to really read up on the Wrightslaw website to see what your DD's rights are. I do believe that the school is NOT allowed to use RTI to delay evaluating your child for disabilities. If you haven't already requested that the school evaluate her, you should. In writing, ASAP. The school has to do its own evaluation before granting any services.

Also, I was wondering how/if the gifted score ranges change when a child has an LD.

I don't think anyone lowers the bar for a person with an LD, even if that means that some people are unfairly excluded from gifted services.

I spoke with someone at my daughter's school today to let them know that I had these results & that I wanted to have a meeting to go over them. They wanted me to wait until next school year since this year is nearly over & she will be going to middle school next year. I said absolutely not--I want to have a record of her performance this year with the teachers she has worked with & the provisions they have made for her in class. I am not going into next year trying to explain what the past few years have been like. Even if we have to meet again next year to formalize her plan, I want to have a summary of her elementary school years in hand to take with me.

Yes, pursue it with the old school for the sake of gathering as much documentation as possible, but know that it takes months and months to get a plan into place, and you won't finish the job this school year. Also contact the new school with your written request for an educational evaluation for suspected disabilities, and give them a copy your private report as evidence that the eval is necessary.

I have giant heavy duty binders in which I put every shred of evidence, including uncompleted work, complaints from teachers about failure to turn in assignments, report cards, diagnostic reports-- literally everything, organized chronologically. If you don't have a binder yet, start one-- it's useful to have.

DeeDee