Originally Posted by DeeDee
I'm surprised that the recommendations don't include direct remediation of the dyslexia and the disorder of written expression. Both of these can improve considerably with targeted therapies, and you might want both in-school and private help with them.

DeeDee

This is one of the reasons I am posting on here. What exactly am I looking for to remediate these areas? I don't know how much help I will get from the school; it's a new ballgame to me now that she has an actual diagnosis. Up until now I have been fighting to get her any sort of accommodations as she does not "fit" into the RTI model to get help. (She drops out at the 1st question, "Is the child successful?" which to the schools means making good grades & state test scores--check.)

Also, I was wondering how/if the gifted score ranges change when a child has an LD. Isn't the overall IQ score "lowered" in a sense by the areas in which the child has the disability?

I spoke with someone at my daughter's school today to let them know that I had these results & that I wanted to have a meeting to go over them. They wanted me to wait until next school year since this year is nearly over & she will be going to middle school next year. I said absolutely not--I want to have a record of her performance this year with the teachers she has worked with & the provisions they have made for her in class. I am not going into next year trying to explain what the past few years have been like. Even if we have to meet again next year to formalize her plan, I want to have a summary of her elementary school years in hand to take with me. I have had more problems trying to explain everything that has been done & not having documentation to back up those explanations...

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. Walt Disney