Originally Posted by JaneSmith
Don't know if my kids will ever learn to work on a car because I don't know how and community college classes usually have minimum ages. We will likely be moving to a smaller home in the near future and I think that in a more manageble place the kids will be able to contribute a much greater portion of the work needed to run a household. Haven't given it much thought for my family, but attending classes and training a dog can also be a great instiller of competance.

Taking part in any aspect of the food prep cycle is a huge one. I am doing an adequate at best job in that area. I would love to hear from those who have their kids very involved in gardening, food shopping, cooking, clean up, etc.

Most people can't work on cars anymore because you need the computer interfaces to do it.

My children participate as much as they can in food prep. They shop with me, and I show them what parts of the plant are what, they put the shopping away when we get home, they peel carrots and cut them with pumpkin carving tools. When I bake they fetch things, measure and mix. They also help unpack the dishwasher and from time to time will "Wash" plastic ware in the sink. I don't let them near the stove for safety as they're pretty young.

They vacuum and sweep and mop the floors, plus load the dryer with my help.

Growing up we each had one night a week to cook dinner, and were responsible for our own laundry (although my mother had to step in with ironing because I have a religious objection to it). I can't even comprehend of parents helping their kids with schoolwork beyond the basic necessities, but maybe that's only because I only did homework in my senior year.