I think this is something we all have to teach early on and stay with it. Like dieting.

I spend time with DD on piano practice and telling her that she cannot quit because it teaches her discipline and she has to work to do things well, not just good because it comes easily to her.

She said, about a week ago, that she didn't want to go to Harvard. I said that was OK, she didn't have to have nice things, she didn't have to travel and she didn't have to have choices on what she ate. She turns 6 tomorrow but I want her (since she is so spoiled) to start making connections about having what she has and what it takes to get them. I repeat the message at least once a week during piano practice.

I focus that she has to learn to work at things and strive to be as good as she can possibly be. I said no one is great without practice. A lot of people can have talent and be good easily but no one is great without the practice. She was skipping rope and getting frustrated that she couldn't do it fast. Everywhere I see the attitude of "why isn't this coming easily?" that too many gifted kids fall into.

I hope my strategy works. It is so, so trying. When she goes off to college, I am off for a 2 week stay at a spa.

Ren