Interesting read... I'm not sure if I agree with everything, though. I'm fairly globally gifted and actually kept going back and forth between majoring in English or some sort of science. I ended up going the science route since I thought it'd be easier to get a job in the long run (oh, how naive I was, I had no clue what academia is really like...). But I've always fluctuated between the two. I almost dropped everything to become a lawyer in college and even to this day I still dream of writing books or going back to law school even though I do like what I do.

I say that all because I actually really didn't have a problem with the verbal part in school. Granted, I went to a pretty decent school (especially HS). I was able to take multiple foreign language classes (very much a love of mine), we had a strong debate team, and we had all AP/honor English classes where we did a lot of essay writing, so it was something you could do to your ability. If anything math/science was more of a drudgery for me because you had to get tracked into certain classes and since I came to the school system late I was stuck into some lower classes that bored me to death (well, and even some of the AP science classes had teachers that had no clue what they were doing!!).

In elementary it was similar, we always did a lot of projects for language type of things so it wasn't restrictive but for math I remember doing A LOT of worksheets and being bored out of my mind. I have specific memories about wanting to learn more complex things and being told I was too young and had to wait until we go to that grade level. frown It also helped that my parents fed my need for books at home and even in elementary they never restricted my choice of adult books. The one big exception was grammar. I HATED grammar worksheets...

ETA: I'm not trying to say it's easier one way or another. Probably in my experience I was more fulfilled in the language arts side growing up than the math side but, again, that had a lot to do with my family (lots of very verbally gifted adults e.g. my grandma whose idea of a good time was to read the newspaper to look for grammar mistakes and then send them to my dad in the mail :D).

Last edited by newmom21C; 07/27/10 01:52 PM.