(*IMO, verbal giftedness goes beyond facility with reading and writing. It is sophisticated vocabulary, persuasive argument, deep interest in�and the precocious ability to question, analyse and think critically about�philosophical, ethical, moral, sociological, political and historical issues.)

It's always potentially problematic and divisive when you start to say one group has it worse than another. But some of what she says rings true in my family. I think it can be easier, depending on the school, to accelerate a kid gifted in math. However, a kid whose verbally gifted, wants to discuss history and philosophy when in 2nd grade, won't be accelerated to middle school where he would be able to discuss those topics. And once you get to that level, output becomes a problem as much of the discussion is in the form of written work. I've had this discussion many times about kids that are in logic stage but still have grammar stage skills, to use the trivium terminology. It's just not easy to accelerate those kids. Everyone kept saying "Just wait until he gets to middle school or high school" but emotionally, intellectually, my son was dying, he would not have made it. Ironically, however, math is what my son complained most about and what ruined school and learning for him, by not being challenged.