Thanks for all the replies. Right now, we're hoping the current school gives us something to work with. We'll find out later this summer.

Kriston, I am going to go read that article. Thanks for posting the link.

I think that I'm stil trying to understand what the "least-worst" option is. The kids want to stay in their school AND learn. They don't want to homeschool. They want to believe that the school can provide appropriate learning opportunities. I want to believe that, too, but the last 3 years has shown me otherwise. I'm hopeful that the school will really come through.

If they don't, I'm still left wondering whether it's better to keep the kids at the school like they want and challenge them in the off-times (like summer), or whether the better option is really to homeschool and I should look at it like teeth brushing -- the kids don't really WANT to do it, but I won't have them getting a mouthful of cavities either. I'm sure there's a more pleasant analogy than that, but it's been a long day.

I would actually love to homeschool the kids. It's been something we've considered since before DS8 started K, and frankly I'm a good teacher. DH fell in love with the current school, though, and I think he worries that the kids wouldn't have a "normal" life, with the same exposure to other kids their age. Of course, the other issue is the money -- giving up my job would really make it hard.

I wish I had a crystal ball to figure out how much was needed to ensure that the kids learn a decent academic work ethic, how to overcome challenge, and not develop a bunch of life-long lazy habits. If anyone around here's amazing kid invents a way to look into the future, please PM me. grin