Mama,

I think that many (most?) of us in this forum ask ourselves those same questions -- or try to figure out how to avoid those questions.

I remember when I was a kid, the teachers would always say "just wait until next year" -- but things NEVER got hard.

How old is ds?

I think the answer to whether something is "good enough" might differ based on how possible it would be to have something "better". I'm very pro homeschooling GT kids, BUT not at the expense of that choice hovering over his head, if you know what I mean.

What does enough mean to you?
I haven't really parsed this out, but off the top of my head, "enough" (as opposed to optimal) might mean
-- feels happier more often than not (or at least, feels whatever his baseline is more often than not -- as in, school doesn't typically bring him down)
-- still feels a passion for learning in some form or another, even if he doesn't necessarily get it from school most of the time
-- is healthy (or whatever his baseline is) more often than not
-- feels reasonably happy/comfortable being himself (what "reasonably" means is somewhat age dependent...)
-- is challenged in some aspect of his life. I think this is crucial for the full development of a gifted kid. Of course, this is very personal, and other people might prioritize things differently, but for me learning diligence was one of the thing that took the longest. And without diligence (or some similar attribute) a person can't go to the edge of their giftedness and PUSH and meet whatever their extraordinary potential might be. Which is not to say that your kid should feel pushed -- not at all -- but that he have some experience with tenacity, so that later on, when he wants something hard, he knows how to push himself, and he feels comfortable doing so.

I wouldn't think the 10-30 minutes of busywork a day is detrimental -- certainly not any more so than all the other stuff he has to put up with. That's just something you gotta do and not think much about. Is there some reason why you think it might be detrimental? (Now 3 hours of busywork might turn soul crushing, but 30 minutes? Eh... half the time, the homework might be slightly amusing, even if unnecessary).

I don't know that the curriculum will ever be a challenge on a regular basis without some sort of differenciation. However, hopefully, he will encounter teachers here and there that ask more of their kids, and he'll take that opportunity and know that's a teacher worth impressing, and projects worth sinking his teeth into, and he'll take advantage of that.

HTH...