Hi Lori, My son has been in scouts since cub scouts, I am also one the chairman of our troop, and have been active with the boys for over 5 years. The troop should be able to make accomadations for your son. Overcoming some hardships is also part of scouting, but within reason. We have had a wide varity of boys in our troop, and have had to make changes at times according to the scouts needs. Not knowing your son, or the troop, it is something you will have to feel out for yourself.
One of the best things a boy can get from scouting is the ability to do things with a group, and to be responsible for himself and others. A good troop strongly encourages personal responsibilty, they want the scouts to be in charge, to learn by their errors. In our troop, the boys are responsible for their own gear, their own food. If they (Not their parents) forget something, they have to make do. (Note we teach them first, and we set guidelines). It can be a great tool for seperating them from their parents, and teaching them how to deal with situations. That being said, it's not always for all boys, some do not like the program. Hopefully it can work out well for your son. If you have any scouting questions please contact me.