I too, am joining in late, but I'm a Montessori teacher at the elementary level and a mom, so might have some helpful input. My DD6 did not have a great experience in her first Montessori preschool, but absolutely loved the second one we tried. (We switched mid-year due to her unhappiness.) Choosing an elementary program was difficult because I know and love much about Montessori (although I bring more to my teaching now that I understand more about giftedness and other issues). I very much wanted it to work out for her. I think DD6 would likely do well in my class if I weren't her mom. I agree that the flexibility and knowledge base of the staff makes all the difference, especially for 2E kids. I've found that some children are overwhelmed by the amount of choice in my classroom. I offer another space with an assistant where children can work in a more quiet, less stimulating environment part of the time. I think a lot about keeping my program true to the Montessori ideal, but when I try to truly "follow the child" I find myself having to incorporate lots of new ideas. I consult with an OT, for example, and have found that this has helped tremendously in supporting some 2E children in the classroom and giving them a positive experience at school.
I think it really depends on the teachers and their willingness to focus on children's strengths and to work to support, rather than judge, and communicate well with parents.