I agree. It's interesting, I was just talking with DH about this the other day. My DS typically gravitates towards really easy stuff (to him at least) or really challenging things that he asks for constant help with. He isn't afraid to try new things and is okay if he doesn't excel, but there is often that big gap in his activities which I find interesting. I would like to provide him opportunities to challenge him, while not pushing him too much. We did this the other day when he went on jigzone. I encouraged him to do some harder puzzles since he was just doing the 6 piece classic ones and saying "I am going as fast as autosolve." He tried some harder ones and I was pleasantly surprised at his persistence and how much better he got in a few minutes at doing jigsaw puzzles (oddly he has always struggled with jigsaw puzzles...and it is the only thing that hasn't come easy so it really stuck out to us and surprised us). I want him to learn that not everything comes so easy. He has already learned this some. I do praise his writing when it is good and legible. I don't harp on him when it is messy I just don't say much. But if I can barely read it or he is making something nice for someone and scribbles all over it, I say something about it.

I like your suggestions about the letters and ideas about bringing about more awareness. He will find that interesting. He has always been interested in what's alike and what's different...ever since he was 1 1/2 and mentioned to me that both twinkle twinkle and the ABC's were the "same song" It's developed from there.