Thanks. But you do have to respect what fulfills one. Not to put your own expectations on your child.

And also try and hear your child and give them what they want. Like her push, for a year, for violin. And we thought it was just a 3 year old thing, watching Sesame Street or something. But we go these Philharmonic children's concerts and they can try a small violin after. And she doesn't want to give it up and they tell us that she seems to know how to play it. Give her lessons. After a few times, you think that you are not listening to what your child needs.

So we bought a piano today, she started private lessons and after a year in piano, she can start violin. (Russian method -- the piano lessons first tune the ear, they tell me). I would never have thought I would be heading down this path.

Two months ago, I was sure that I wanted her to go to Hunter. Now I am thinking that for her, the Special Music School may be a better gifted option. Although, I am told the pressure is worse. But is this what she wants?

So I say it from that perspective. I also think it is good not to be the smartest, but have uber bright people around you. I think of it like tennis, you get better if you play with better people. I think it is very easy to get lazy if you can get the best grades, even if you don't show up for school 1/3 of the time. My experience on the last.

Ren