Originally Posted by TuffToodle
I am concerned that the school will not be meeting her needs, which is why I am looking to figure out what would be a reasonable expectation going into the meeting.
You are right - public school will typically NOT meet the needs of many gifted children.
- Check your state education laws, for any requirements there may be for meeting the needs of gifted students. Typically there are none.
- Check your school policies, for any statements which you may be able to hold the school to.

I don't want to seem pushy, but I also don't want to sign off on a token program either.
- Don't push... Do ask questions, and take notes.
- There may be nothing to "sign off" on, as gifted ed is typically not a requirement.

she needs to start learning eventually!
My advice: Choose your advocacy words carefully. Or you may create an unyielding solid.
- Kids can and do learn outside of school.
- Schools may require students to state they've learned something, even when the student must make false statements to do so. For example, a student may be required to point out "new words" in something which they are reading... when all the words are familiar to the student. In this way, schools can falsify records and also drive a wedge between the parents (who say child is not learning) and the child (who pointed to new words which they have supposedly learned while reading).

Does anyone have experience with a differentiated program? How does that work?
Differentiation only means something is different... it can be more homework (differentiated task demands), more stringent grading, etc. Take a look at the buzzwords post, so you can develop a good BS filter. Then be sure to ask about the 5Ws of the gifted programming or service offered for your child.