Originally Posted by twinsplusone
I am not worried about this behavior (except when it seems like he will have a meltdown if he can't read his book) but I was hoping his reading style would give me a window into what is going on with him since we are so dizzied up with diagnoses.

It's tough when you're in that spot where you don't understand what's driving behaviors - I hope the neuropsych testing will help - it may not give you a "complete" answer but it will at least give you more data to help you understand what's up with your ds.

Re the reading - I have a dd who reads extremely super-fast. She easily reads novels in a few hours... and retains the details. When she describes how she reads, it's a little bit like how I was taught to speed-read but not exactly. She looks at blocks of words at a time (similar to speed reading) but also says that she sees the words as a movie. She's also my daughter who had visual processing challenges when she was young and trying to learn how to read. She says she's never learned how to read one word at a time, and I've wondered if perhaps it was due to her vision issues.

He can read a 400 page, adult level book (high interest football book about the Mannings) but he can't get himself to do basic school type responsibilities.

The thing about my fast-reading daughter that's different from what you described is that even though she loves, loves, loves books, she can put them down without anxiety when she has something else to do. It sounds like there's something else going on with your ds that's causing stress. While you're waiting for the neuropsych, I'd suggest thinking through the things he can't seem to get himself to do - what type of basic school responsibilities does he seem to not want to do or is unwilling to do? What does he rush through? Looking at those things might also provide a hint of what's up, and even though it's unlikely you'll be able to solve the puzzle on your own while waiting, being able to describe these things will give insight to the neuropsych when he/she reviews your child's history and current functioning with you.

Best wishes,

polarbear