Originally Posted by polarbear
Have you thought of having your ds try a different sport? I wouldn't give up on the hockey yet if he likes it - but if he's not involved in any other sports I'd look around for something else he likes to do. My ds has always preferred sports that he performs as an individual in, so that a team isn't relying on him - but he's still able to participate in those sports with groups, it's just not a team sport such as soccer or hockey or basketball etc. DS prefers mountain biking (and belongs to a group that bikes) and is on the cross country team in school (anyone who wants to can join and participate - same is true for all of our schools, so meets are huge and somewhat social, plus he gets the benefits of learning how to set goals for himself and sports nutrition etc but it doesn't matter to anyone that he comes in as part of the tail end of runners). I think swimming might be a good sport too for some dyspraxics, but ds had trouble learning how to swim. Skiing is another sport that ds enjoys. Rowing might be another that would work (but we have no rowing here lol!). My older dd enjoys cyclocross, which is relatively new in our area... I think ds would like it too, but he's been too busy to try it out yet.

Anyway, just some random thoughts - finding a sport to add in where you can enjoy it as a family and take away the stress of having to feel like ds needs to be corrected might be good for your ds - confidence building for him, more fun for the rest of the family smile

polarbear

Yes, he does like soccer and I think that is easier for him because he does not have to coordinate his anything other than his legs and a ball. With hockey, you're skating and, at the same time, coordinating a stick and puck - it's hard! He played intramural soccer last year. This year he wants to try out for travel. But I think if he doesn't make travel soccer he will do intramural. I have been encouraging the soccer because he likes it and I do want him to have an alternative if hockey doesn't work out. I do think the hockey is good for his dyspraxia. I mean, what better way to work on coordination? I like to think of it as fun physical therapy. As long it remains mostly fun and not demoralizing for him!

Also, he is picking up skiing very well. But skiing is just a winter thing that we can only do a few times during the winter because the mountains are about two hours away.

Thanks for all your thoughts, Polarbear! How is your DS doing these days?

Last edited by Irena; 03/03/16 08:18 PM.