Originally Posted by eco21268
I have a question and I'm sorry for monopolizing this board. frown

Eco, it's a big space and you're taking hardly any-- please ask for what you need.

I'm having trouble getting my hands on the OT report. I've now asked twice directly from the person who did the evaluation. She told me she had already emailed it, then I asked her to email it again to my work. It still hasn't appeared in my inbox.

Since the principal has indicated a willingness to help you, a phone call to that person asking for the report might be the fastest way to get it.

I feel like that is an important piece since she said there were "differences" but I don't know what they are--only what they aren't (no fine motor and no something-visual). I know next to nothing about sensory issues. Evidently, she's been in contact with the teachers and is recommending "movement breaks" and something else (a timer, I think?) I don't know what those interventions reflect.

My gut feeling is that they reflect "standard-issue" responses to ADHD and/or autism. Once you have the report, you will be able to see exactly what they are recommending and whether those recommendations make sense for your child.

FWIW: the standard-issue accommodations don't work for all kids, and they are very often misapplied by people who don't know what to do but want to do something. If they don't fit the needs you see (I bet they won't, based on what you've said), you should call a meeting to discuss with the school team.

I see no way in which "sensory" anything will address the social perception mistakes your DS makes.

Does this seem like a report the neuropsychologist should have? I'm thinking yes. I'm also thinking it would be helpful to me as a parent.

Of course you and the neuropsych should have access. (The school can't give it to the neuropsych without a signed privacy waiver; but once you have the copy it's yours and you can give it to the neuropsych.)

Is 12 too old to get OT services, privately?

No. But I would question whether an OT is the right person here.

IME "sensory issues" are far overdiagnosed and often not the central issue they are made out to be. (I once had an earnest OT tell me DS's autism was "caused by his sensory issues.") OTs have a limited toolkit and this particular part of the toolkit is poorly grounded in science.

Whether or not they are working on the sensory issues, they are going to need to do something throughout the school day about the social/behavioral mistakes. I would want a board-certified behavior analyst observing at school, and talking with the teachers about what they see, and helping make a plan to address these concerns.

I think you as a parent have a big role in helping people stay on target-- keep your eyes on the prize, have a list of the most crucial issues on hand, and when people want to steer toward peripheral issues, keep asing about the crucial ones.