Originally Posted by bluemagic
Then this teacher should be accepting the late work and not marking it down. Sounds like you need to get a 504 meeting together with this teacher. My son has an even more vague writing in his 504 that he is allowed to turn in certain types of assignment late if he's had a anxiety attack over it.

What I don't understand is why the accommodation is to tell the attendance teacher. In my school all students get the amount of days they were absent to turn in missing work. as long as it's an excused absence. But since this is special case I would expect you should contact the teacher as well. Does the attendance person actually pass on this information to the teacher or just check it off in a book? And yes in 6th grade YOU should email the teacher, not expect the student to tell them.

I had noticed in the gradebook that the teacher also deducted participation points for a day my son was absent--and it's coded 504. So that question wasn't actually related to the late work.

Originally Posted by bluemagic
Then you need to talk with the principal ASAP.
Principal already called back! He asked me to forward the corroborating emails to him and APOLOGIZED! Said he hopes we can get everything straightened out and that next year will be better.

I think there are some good things in the current 504 but it needs some serious tweaking. You just never think that people will do the wrong/unsupportive/cruel thing. Or at least I don't...