Originally Posted by eyreapparent
Blackcat, I'm so frustrated on your behalf. What else do they need to see to prove he needs to be accelerated in math? It's beyond reason.

I think they would accelerate him one year for math if I pushed them (last year at this time they refused), but it would be pointless because he already knows the entire 3rd grade curriculum. No one is ever accelerated more than one year, which is odd because DD is in the same district and she's in fourth grade working out of a pre-algebra textbook. Her teachers are allowed to do what they want because she is in the gifted program (in a classroom where everyone is gifted), and DS is not in the gifted program because he's not old enough. Never mind the fact that DS is actually scoring higher than she is on their computerized achievement testing. They require kids to score 98+ percent accurate on written district tests in order to accelerate. If a kid makes a couple careless errors or hasn't been exposed to a single concept, they are below that. Say, for instance, they forget what an isoceles triangle is. They could be taught that in 1 minute, but if they miss it on the test, it could prevent them from being accelerated. At this point I think DS is better off sitting by himself and doing Khan Academy and 5th-6th grade level workbooks than being accelerated to third grade for math. We need to figure out something else for next year, though, and I've found some promising options.