Originally Posted by BenjaminL
Districts and teachers definitely vary. I've certainly read posts here where they've been accommodating in addition to the horror stories. The more asynchronous the child's development the harder it is to meet their needs in a group setting. Our district does a reasonable job at accelerating kids 1 or 2 years ahead in math especially as they get older. I'm very grateful for the walk to math options that my older son had starting in Kindergarten. However, if a kid is beyond that point I don't see much to do except wait until they are mature enough to advocate for some kind of independent study.

... which presupposes that all gifted students are autodidacts, or at least amenable to that kind of approach.

Come to think of it, that must be why educators deny the existence of children who are both gifted and not already autodidactic.

Yeah. That must be why my 13yo needed a teacher for AP physics. Because she's... not... actually... what she seems to be. Must have been a fluke that she did so well on the PSAT. And the SAT. And the ACT. I know-- we COACHED her into that. mad

If she were really all that, she could have already had a Nobel prize in medicine for curing cancer, and a Pulitzer too, for her first novel. Without any instruction, of course, because gifted children don't need any. smirk

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.