Quote from OP at other board:
"If i teach them 2 digit addition without regrouping now, then what would i teach them in the spring when the rest of the class is learning--my "high" student would be learning the same thing all over again "

The lack of logic here just boggles the mind. She's already teaching the kid stuff he knows right now. Remember the parents are saying the kid can multiply and divide (which the teacher clearly can't even believe). The teacher can't come up with anything for this kid to do, not because she doesn't have the time, but because she doesn't want to teach anything she's not already planning to teach. Sure, she may not have the time, but that's not her objection here.

And sure she feels bad about it, but I just don't think that feeling bad is enough of an excuse to get out of doing anything. "Sorry I'm not willing to rub two neurons together to try to help you in any way, but I do feel bad about it."

I want to be sympathetic toward public school teachers. I really do. First, it's politically incorrect not to be. Second, I'm the kind of person who likes to like people and think the best about them.

I only wish more of our own interactions with our public school district encouraged that sympathy.