aeh, thanks for the information. I noticed possible memory/retrival problems when she needed to learn States and their capitals. If I named a state, DS almost always yelled out the answer before her, and he was there a fraction of the time learning. I tried giving her mental images to use, like a boy named Trent or Trenton is fighting a herd of Jersey cows, but she just couldn't remember anything. I told her to make her own associations, and she didn't. She doesn't have a problem finding states on a map, though. If I say"where is New Jersey?" she points to it. So I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm not sure how to sort out what is slow processing speed, and what is a retrieval/memory problem or if they are the same thing.

She has to write a memoir for class told in the first person, and the teacher did have a sort of outline for them to fill out first.

Action:
Dialogue:
A Thought, Question, or Feeling:
a Sound Effect:

The kids are supposed to fill in their thoughts, and then write the memoir. DD just filled in a couple words on each section and then wrote (typed--with spell check) this:

"When I was little I went to a snow tubing place called XXXX with some of my relatives and I thought it was just going to be fun fun fun FUN!!!!
But surprisingly I was wrong. We ended up having my little brother YYY getting a skull fracture (which was really scary because I wasn't with him and he's my ONLY brother I will ever have!!!!)
We were just having lots of fun. Then when we went down another time there was an accident. I don't know who bumped into me. But we collided, YYY hit his head, and had blood gushing out of his ear! He had to go to the hospital in an ambulance! YYY had to wear a neck brace! He had to wear an eyepatch because he had double vision. He had to stay home from school. When he could go outside he had to wear a helmet until he got better. THE END.

I don't think this is what the teacher has in mind. Part of the problem with this is that DD doesn't really remember the episode enough to even put in enough detail. If we have her switch topics, what specific graphic organanizer could i use to make this turn out better?