I don't know my IQ and I'm kind of glad I don't. My husband never took an IQ test, so he doesn't know his either. I did qualify for gifted programming based on the test, so it had to be above some bar, but that's all I know.

I think if we knew, it would be tempting to compare ourselves to our kids. Even now, having results for both my children, I find that it's tempting to assign value to these small differences. But really, I've come to think that general giftedness matters, way-out-there PG scores matter, really discordant results matter, and other than that, "gifted" is a squishy result that has less meaning than we want it to. Looking at the individual person and allowing them opportunities to stretch tells us more.

Anyway, a high IQ is no guarantee of anything. Of course, there are some statistical averages, but not everyone will fit there. My husband and I are throwing off the income averages, for instance.

I also think the bright vs. gifted checklists are a bit silly. Some gifted kids are like that and some are not. I know a lot of gifted kids (and my area uses a strict IQ cut-off) and they are really different from each other.