DD (8.5, 2nd grade) is PG, and was pretty much way ahead with all academics all her life, and way behind in everything else (motor, social, emotional). She did 2.5 years in Montessori preschool and finished the K curriculum by age 4. She's also very, very, very ADHD (combined type). The school we've been in has not accommodated academically in any way which has been an incredibly painful experience.

DS (4.5) is quite her opposite in many ways. He's very social, great motor skills, emotionally pretty normal-seeming for his age. He will turn 5 in October, making him 7 weeks too young for the kindergarten cut-off. He reads decently well lately, CVC words, some blends, sight words. His math is up to K. He enjoys science (hands-on; but he also loves the Magic School Bus books more than anything right now). But, he's not academically driven and precocious all over like his sister. Where strangers always looked at DD and said, "Wow, she's so smart!" they look at DS and say, "Wow, he's so cute!"

And, he's impulsive. He's not as impulsive as his sister way, but he's definitely the kid most likely to be goofing off or messing around in any group activity. He's the kid who needs 5 reminders and a warning. He doesn't want you to be upset with him, but he totally gets carried away. He's always been this way compared to age-peers. Maybe he'll be dx with ADHD later. Maybe he'll just grow out of it eventually.

So, academically, I feel like he'd be fine in Kindergarten. But he'd be the youngest, and on top of that, somewhat impulsive. He'll be the behavioral bane of his teacher's class. But he'll also be able to complete all the academic work, which he'll probably like doing well enough.

So we're at this kindergarten crossroads and not sure which way to jump:

1. I could apply for early entrance to K for him.

2. I could send him to preschool (it would be part time) next year, and put him in K the next year. He's already ahead of average, so he'd maybe be really ahead.

3. The district we're moving to does allow kids to early entrance to 1st. So it's also possible that after a year of part-time preschool, he could get early entrance to 1st grade when he's 5-almost-6.

WWYD?

One difficulty is that I haven't found a preschool I like that is near where we are shortly moving to. The nearest part-time preschool I've found to like is about 30 minutes away.