Originally Posted by aeh
My #1 had a similar experience until the school--which was a very accommodating small private school--ran out of ways to differentiate and keep #1 meaningfully in the home grade, even after one early entrance, one grade skip, and placement in a multi-age/grade classroom. At that point we could have stuck with the school and had our child in entirely individualized classes (literally, as in the only student in each class-within-a-class, working alone with periodic teacher check-in), search for another school (slim pickings in our area), or homeschool. Since, by then, the majority of real learning was occurring in afterschooling, it was definitely a relief to get rid of the time-wasting and exhausting six-hour b&m school day.

In a way I wonder if it would be easier to decide if DS was bored all day, knowing he wasn't learning anything in school. But he has such asynchronous achievement, and is most knowledgeable about subjects I don't see emphasized in school (science-based), which makes me pause.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.