I actually wish the school and the teachers to know that all my kids need at school is free time. They have a lot of things that they can learn through independent study. We are not even asking the school to provide any additional instruction. If they can once in a while exempt my kids from the repetitive and extremely boring work sheets and requirements, that would be the best we can hope for.

My DD9 is generally happy at school because she is much more willing to go with the flow than her brother. She has lots of friends and doesn't mind reading simple books and doing all those math sheets even though she is a few grade levels above. But the other day she looked really worried and asked me what she would do when the school's musical instrument program starts in a couple of years. The program starts from scratch and assumes that students have no exposure to instruments, whereas DD has been playing in very competitive orchestras with high schoolers and middle schoolers since 2rd grade. I'm planning to talk to the school and see whether they will allow DD to be exempted----but I highly doubt.

Last edited by playandlearn; 04/02/14 08:02 AM.